I have heard of this Liebster award for which my new writer friend Kate M. Colby nominated me the other day, and it’s pretty nifty that she thought of me. Thanks, Miss Kate! I knew there was a reason we got along so well. But seriously, based on Kate’s post, here’s the guidelines for this fun little award:
- Post the award on your blog.
- Thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to his/her blog.
- Write 5 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5 bloggers (they should have less than 300 followers).
- Answer 5 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 5 questions.
Nik’s Five Random Facts
- I have zero tattoos, and the only things I have pierced are my ears, and then only once.
- I have an ear for accents, and have a tendency to adopt them in my daily life. So if you meet me on Saint Patrick’s Day, don’t be surprised to hear me talk with a little of the Irish. And Lord help me if one of my cashiers happens to have an English accent; I have to make very sure I don’t mimic it back!
- The only bones I’ve ever broken are those of my little toes. One fell victim to the wooden base on a cat scratcher the day before I went to Disneyland (yes, I remembered to pack the gauze and tape to keep it healing straight), and the other had an unfortunate encounter with one of my large L-shaped bookcases in the living room.
- I learned to drive on my mom’s 1975 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega that didn’t have any power steering whatsoever, and was a five-speed transmission. You had to crank that steering wheel around hand-over-hand style in order to make a turn, and you had to lift up a release lever in order to shift the car up into reverse. As a result, or in spite of it, I still drive a stick shift to this day.
- I saw my first animal dioramas in 2013 at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, and was as excited as a little kid. It was especially thrilling because last year’s NaNoWriMo novel featured animal shape-shifters, so getting to see them up close and personal like that was amazing.
Answers to Kate’s Questions
What is your number one “Bucket List” item?
This one is already crossed off my list, as I went to Ireland in 2010 for my *mumble, mumble* birthday and spent 12 glorious days traveling around with Mom (and a few strangers on the same bus tour) throughout the country. Number two on my list is to go back, and this time go exploring on my own and visit all those places we didn’t get to see the first time, returning to Dublin to finish off the trip with a Guinness at the pub. :)
If you could live inside of one book, which would you choose?
This is like asking me “if I could live inside of one movie,” although on that one I think I’d know exactly which one I’d choose. I love so many books for so many different reasons, but were I to get sucked into the pages of a book to live out my remaining years, I’d be happiest in a world full of magic and adventure.
If you could have any career in the world, what would you do?
The one that would make me excited to go to work every day, where the work itself would be exciting and make me happy. It’s my fervent hope that my writing will fill that spot some day.
If you could have one wild animal as a pet, what would it be?
Oh this is actually tougher than I thought. There are two animals that mean a lot to me, one I’ve loved since a child and another I’ve grown more fond of recently. All things considered, though, I think my childhood dream remains to have a Bengal tiger (white preferably but I wouldn’t say no to orange) as a friend.
What is the legacy or meaning you want to leave on this world?
Such a serious question. As I have so little family, it’ll be up to my friends to remember me, and I hope they do so with fond memories of my ridiculously silly jokes, my love of Tex-Mex food, my bracelets/pottery/etc. I’ve made over the years, and how much I love them all.
This one was a little bit trickier, as Kate stole a couple I’d have on my list already. *grin* So here’s the bloggers I nominate:
- KELPublishing – Kelly’s a good friend of mine and fellow writer, and she’s just started her new blog so it’s the perfect time to nominate her. :)
- Miramar Dichoso – another good friend of mine and fellow Muppet Lover who’s way more fashionable than me.
- my mumblings – I found Abby via another writer friend, and she makes me smile with her posts.
- Author Amanda McCormick – a new contact from NaNoWriMo this year.
- Books & Bark – although she’s a dog lover (I am so totally a cat person), she’s another fellow Wrimo, albeit a much younger one than I.
Questions for Nominees
I did my best to make them nothing like you get at a job interview. How’d I do?
- Where would be your dream writing/artistic space (aka which city/state and/or location), and what does it look like?
- If you suddenly found you had a “superhero” ability, what would it be and why?
- What creative skill do you not have that you wish you did?
- Is there something you’ve never been able to do that you wish you could?
- In the spirit of the holiday, what was the best Christmas gift you ever received?
That’s all for now. Stay tuned as I will be unveiling The Plan for 2015 soon!